Search This Blog

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Too Safe?

Random Thoughts:

I was leaving Ala Moana Park a couple of days ago, when I had this odd sensation of a mountain lion lying in wait, ready to pounce. There are no mountain lions on Oahu, to the best of my knowledge, nor anyplace for them to hide at Ala Moana Park. The passing impression did start a dialog in my head, though.

What would I do in a place where wild animals could be lurking, hiding? Would I have any kind of instinct of what to do? Would I have a fighting chance . . . at all?

Then I thought about things like drive by shootings. I know they happen in cities all over the nation, but I have never lived in a neighborhood where I have to worry about being shot while walking down the street. Random people frequently fight, yell, and cuss outside my window at night, but none of them have pulled out a weapon to create a horrible, permanent solution. What would I do in a place where people acted like wild animals? How would I survive.

There are people suffering a variety of things throughout the world - many of whom would not call what they experience suffering, but rather life. Yet, somehow, I have lived nearly 35 years without ever having to truly fear for my life. I am thankful, but I can't help but wonder, how will I survive/adapt if and when that changes?

1 comment:

Joe Hayes said...

One of the saddest things in life is how safe some people are. They honestly don't know the beauty for fight-or-flight coursing through your veins.
I remember being a kid and being shot at by some farmer who's hay we'd destroyed as I ran up the road as fast as I could go. It was like I'd slipped into another dimension. Every inch of my body was alive, and time had slowed down, yet I was keenly aware of how incredibly FAST I was running (I beat some cousins that were 5 years my senior and in good shape). Amazing stuff.
The downside comes in when you realize just how in control you're NOT. Those instincts take over, and you often do things you wish you hadn't.
The one thing you can be sure of, is that when it get SERIOUS, you won't respond the way you think you'd respond. You're not rational anymore.