Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Discernment

"However, it is written: 'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him' - but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God." I Corinthians 2:9-10

"So that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ." Philippians 1:10

Some of you know that I have been doing a Bible Study by Beth Moore entitled, "Living Beyond Yourself." There is so much richness here. There is much I could say after this session, but I will focus on "heightened discernment" at this time.

A look through the Bible will show you that the word "discernment" is used more often in a positive context than a negative one. This caught my attention. I was already invested in the teaching, but I suddenly realized that something was about to step on my toes. I was right. Beth went on to talk about how a critical spirit will often mask itself as discernment. How does one know the difference? Discernment is rooted in love. A critical spirit is rooted in pride and arrogance.

A couple of weeks ago, while I was swimming, God began speaking to me about something rather uncomfortable. He showed two different glimpses into my life.

The first was me at peace. It was during a season when my ability to see the giftings and potential in people was quite high. It was a nice picture.

The second was me nervous and discontent. In this scene I was seeing in others motives, etc. that were not good. I was building walls around myself.

Which was discernment? Both were rooted in a similar gifting or instinct. What made them different? Holy Spirit empowered discernment is rooted in love. Since perfect love casts out all fear, there was no need to worry. I was free to say, as Paul did, my life is worth nothing to me, because I know how valuable my life is to God. I know He handles me carefully and purposefully. (I may not always like how some things feel along my journey, but that doesn't make them bad.)

A critical spirit left out love. What good does it do anyone, including myself, if I can see the heart only to despise it? Does this help the person? Does it protect anyone else? Does it protect me? The only way a critical spirit can help is by building walls. It may seem helpful and protective at the time, but eventually I will come to see that I have succeeded only in building myself a prison.

Now, I rarely walk completely in HS led discernment or a critical spirit. In one day, both could make an appearance. However, I want to continually grow closer to being able to walk in HS led discernment. After all, without love I am only a resounding gong, right?

How do I move in the direction I want to go? I get into the Word and I ask for filling of the Holy Spirit. That could take me off on an entirely different bunny trail . . . .

No comments: