Search This Blog

Saturday, June 05, 2010

Trembling, Rejoicing, and Kissing

I woke up this morning wondering what I wanted to do with the day. Most of my friends are at the Bill Johnson conference. I had decided not to go. I decided to head into Logos Bookstore where I found a used book section. I certainly could not pass up the opportunity to add to my library at $.25 and $.75 per book. (I did splurge and spent $2 on one of them.)

As I step into the much dreaded role of leadership, I have been thinking seriously about what I really believe. I grew up in one of the more strict holiness denominations. Lots of rules. Some poor people saw only the rules and no power. I was one of those blessed to see both. I am part of a non-denominational church plant where grace and activation are highlighted. Beyond that, now I am in the charismatic world at large, I also see a subculture of people who stress experience and emotion.

As a leader, which of these things do I water? What is okay to neglect and trust that God will take care of? When does one cross the line into micromanaging someone else's relationship and walk with God? These are just a few of the questions I have been asking myself.

One of the books I picked up today is entitled, "Passion for Jesus," by Mike Bickle. In one chapter, he goes through Psalm 2. Here are verses 10-12

"Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry and you be destroyed in your way, for his wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who take refuge in him."

I could paraphrase what he says, but instead, I will just quote him,

"God is awesome in splendor and terrifying in His greatness. This royal One has no superior-no equal. When we get a glimpse of His eternal, majestic splendor and beauty we are filled with reverential fear. We tremble before Him."

"If we only feel fear and trembling in the Presence of God, we will never experience the fullness of His grace. David says we are to rejoice before Him as well. We are to exult and rejoice in the benefits of our inheritance."

He goes on to describe how the phrase "kiss the Son" speaks metaphorically of the special intimacy we are designed to have with God.

I like these three anchors. Trembling, Rejoicing, and Kissing. I get the feeling that it is not a balancing act. It is all - of everything. All of me trembling in awe before Him. All of me rejoicing in the benefits of my inheritance. All of me embracing the passion of my God.

Onward!

No comments: