Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Malachi 2

I was reading Malachi tonight and ended up journaling 7 pages on the 2nd chapter. I know that I tend to run on, but that is a lot, even for me.
Have you read this passage recently? God is talking to the priests. Rebuking might be a more accurate term. He is comparing how Levi served as compared to how the priests of that day were serving. I have often thought of I and II Timothy as the books the place to go when searching for teaching on how to be a good leader or teacher (although we now know that Joshua also touches on this area), but I didn't realize that all of this was here in Malachi. I always thought of this as the "tithing book."
I just wanted to share with our leadership some of what God highlighted for me tonight. (Don't worry, I am leaving out the 7 pages of personal commentary that was just for me.) ;-) Most of the "qualities" are found in verses 6 & 7, although the last 2 were found in vs. 16. As a leader (priest?!) I should . . .
1) Have and show Reverence for God.
2) Stand in awe of God's name.
3) Be Honest in all I say and do.
4) Walk With God.
5) Turn many from sin. (Ouch!)
6) Preserve Knowledge (Preserve in myself, but also for others, hence part of the reason I am sharing what I have learned - am learning.)
7) Have a mouth that others seek instruction from because I am a messenger of the Lord.
8) Guard myself in my spirit.
9) Do not break faith.
I understand that many use the last 2 as instructions for marriage, but being single, God reminded me that He often speaks of His people as His bride and we are to guard our spirits for him, just as we would for a spouse. Same thing for breaking faith.
Thanks for taking the time to listen (read?) what God is teaching me tonight. Keep me in mind next time God prompts you to share what you are learning. I love to watch how God grows us.
Blessings!
Jeannie Hughes

No comments: