Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Spider

Tonight I met what I believe to be my first cane spider. I didn't stop to grab an encyclopedia, but spindly did not come close to describing the legs on this baby. They were trees! So cane spider or other - he was ugly!!!
So I come home from a nice night out with friends. It is around 11pm and I was ready to check out for the night - or so I thought. I unlock my door, turn on the light, then begin to close the door, turning to toss my slippers where they usually rest and something catches my eye. Yep, my new "friend". I am grateful that I am young and have a strong heart. I don't like the little spiders with the long legs, or even the cute little black jumping spiders, but this created nightmares in my brain while I was still quite awake.
At first, the insane thought crossed my mind that I might just let the guy live. After all, at school, we are always telling the children not to kill "God creatures". Then again, this creature was inside my living space. A quick glance toward my bed made up my mind. (For those of you who do not know, my bed is approx. 6 inches off the floor - I think the spider's legs, when extended, would easily reach that far.
Once the decision was reached not to just leave it alone, I got the brilliant idea to "encourage" my friend to go back outside. After all, creatures raised in nature are supposed to have a survival instinct, right? When given the choice between me and freedom outside, he should choose freedom outside. If that is the case, this spider had mental deficiencies.
I have been stocking my apartment slowly and had not yet got around to poison, since creatures hadn't been a big problem up until now. But, I did find Behold dusting spray on sale at Daiei the other day. And I had hairspray. Hhhmmmm. Guess those will work.
I walk over to the door (the spider was just inside the door.) and spray a little Behold toward it while opening the door. Instead of seeing an opportunity for freedom and running out the door, this stupid little creature came at me - big creature with smelly spray. Needless to say, I continued spraying deciding to use the Behold with one hand and the hairspray with the other. The spider turned white and slowed down, but he was still coming toward me. It left me no choice. I put down the hairspray and grabbed a slipper (a big, heavy one) and while I continued spraying with my right hand (the Behold), I used my left hand to slam my slipper on top of it. Twice. I couldn't stand the thought of picking it up with a tissue, nor did I want to leave it there in case of miraculous revival, so I grabbed my broom and swept him outside where he should have gone in the first place.
So now, the spider is dead (or maimed), my Behold is about half gone, and my apartment smells disturbingly clean - and I am trying to come up with a plan of action in case I see one of those monsters again.
Just thought I would share my adventure with you - especially since I am now wide awake!
Hope you all are having a blessed weekend!
Jeannie

No comments: