Search This Blog

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Ron Clark Story

I was home alone tonight working on updating my website and wanted some background noise. I flipped channels for a bit, not sure what I was looking for but I found the Ron Clark story.Ron Clark was a teacher in Harlem. I found myslef quite inspired by his story. Even had a few tears drop. The kids treated him terribly. I am almost 100% sure that I would have walked out after the first week - if not the first day.

It reminded me of so many things - just because kids mistreat you or are rude to you does not mean that they do not need you and that they won't eventually come around - that too many children have no one who believes in them and that it makes an amazing difference when some one does believe in them - that simply staying can sometimes say more than words and teach more than a well planned lesson-and a number of cliches I won't bother to type in.

I recently started teaching again and quickly fell in love with my students. Each one has something unique and special to offer. And I am blessed to be able to work with them in a number of different areas. My prayer is that I will be able to see the hidden gifts in each person I meet and help draw it out. (I confess, sometimes I have a hearder time doing that with adults than children!)

No comments: