Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fall Update 10/07

Well, since my mom and dad have both pointed out in the last week or so that it has been a while since I did a mass emailing, I decided to send out another update. In some ways, not much has changed. Nothing new to tell. And in other ways, so much is happening. I am sure you all know the feeling.

I was glad to catch up with some of you during my California travels this summer. That was good fun. I got to see a lot and talk story with some people that I don't get to do that with often - at least not face to face. :-) I also got to see Mario and Lyndi when they visited Lyndi's dad on Maui. Thank God for $25 inner island flights! It was a great time where I got to catch up a bit in person and see their beautiful new addition.

I am still teaching music at Windward Nazarene Academy and I enjoy it. We hired a person to close, so I don't have too many days when I am working from 7:30am-6pm. At least not days when I am forced to be on the clock all of that time. There have been plenty of long days for other reasons, but at least I don't feel locked into them. I really enjoy the year around schedule. It allows me the variety I so desperately need. I have learned that I get much less productive when placed in a position of doing the same thing for months or years at a time. I need the shake up every few months. During this break, I have worked a little bit and attended a 2 day conference. Mostly, though, I have been using it as a time to follow up on some people that I have been working with in church. More on that later . . .

Church is going well. I feel like we are starting to break new ground. At least for us. We have something called a "Holy Spirit Retreat" 2-3 times a year. It is a time to introduce those who are interested to the "job description" if you will, of the Holy Spirit and at the end of the retreat to spend some time just waiting for God to come. There are usually some pretty cool, and often life changing, things that happen on those retreats. We just had one a couple of weeks ago, but things at church started changing even before that. I can't pin point exactly when it started, but you could see things kick into gear as a burden of prayer began to fall over various parts of our community. We started meeting every other Saturday night to pray together. Our pastor, Jordan, made it very clear in our leadership meetings and in services that he was praying specifically that God would lay on us a spirit of intercession. I would say that has happened. :-)

It was during a worship night that we had after our regular Sunday night service that we first saw God start to break through in a more obvious sort of way. People came to the front of the room and worshiped freely, but there was also a heavy spirit of conviction in the room and even while some celebrated, others were crying out to God. We did have some of those funny manifestations that people get uncomfortable talking about, but it was clear that we were in the presence of God. We have continued to see good things happen in our services.

Earlier I mentioned our Holy Spirit Retreat. Now, this is normally a great time to refocus and then charge up. We study a few scriptures about the Holy Spirit on Friday night, talk about I Corinthians 12-14 on Saturday morning and break for people to meditate, pray, play, socialize, whatever for the afternoon. Saturday night brings us back together for a time of fellowship (dinner), followed by our confessional time (we actually get into groups and practice confessing sin out loud) and then we come back together into the big group for worship and prayer. It is during that time that we ask the Holy Spirit to come and fill. Good times. Well, this time things were a bit different.

I was scheduled to help set up and work the registration table. A young boy (18) who often helps with worship walked in. I could tell that something was very wrong. After speaking with him for a few minutes, I learned that he had visited his doctor earlier in the day and had been told that he needed to do everything that he needed to do this weekend. Both of his lungs were preparing to collapse and even with surgery, there was only a 40% chance that he would live. (It is a long story, but he had just been released from the hospital a few days earlier so we took what the doctor told him seriously.) He was not supposed to do much of anything, particularly he was not supposed to sing. I prayed with him then briefly. When Jordan found out what was happening, he pulled a group of us into a side room to pray for healing for this boy. Talk about an intense time of prayer! There was a large window in the side room where we were praying. As people walking into the Holy Spirit Retreat, they walked into this. Interesting way to start . . . . (By the way, the end of the story is that the boy is living his normal life with no surgery. I haven't heard the official doc report, but since they did not take him into surgery last week, I take that as a good sign! Also, the physical symptoms he was having did disappear.)

You can imagine that the retreat was more intense, even from the beginning. During the Saturday prayer time, we had at least 1 other deliverance. I was personally involved in that one as well and, as it took up much of the night, I didn't spend a lot of time watching what was happening around me. But I heard good stories. :-)

Some of you may think that I am certifiably crazy by now . . . :-) You can see why I don't always jump to share my stories immediately. I don't think that is what people expect to hear when they ask me how things are going. hehe Although, those of you who have been around me for a long time are probably not too surprised. :-)

Looking ahead, I expect to continue to see God work. More than anything, I want to continue seeing people set free from whatever holds them in bondage. I am looking at the possibility of traveling again in 2008. We have a couple of trips planned that deal with organizations that help rescue people from human trafficking/sex trade situations. Both in Asia. One organization is around Thailand, I believe. The other is in Northern Asia, old Soviet Union area. We also partner with a place called, "Home of Love" orphanage in Bangladesh. Two of my close friends are preparing to do DTS and this spring and then move to Bangladesh to work with the orphanage. I am not sure yet where I will go, but I am praying about it. You can pray with me, if you wish. I would also like to do something in our country. One of the ladies at church travels to Delaware every year to do Holy Spirit Retreats at the church where she grew up. I may see about going with her - or just see if any other doors open.

Goodness, are your eyes crossed yet from all of that reading?! I had better sign off. Please don't forget to include me in your updates. I always love to learn what is happening in your part of the world.

No comments: