Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Lessons Learned In the Trench 5/2/07

I am currently working on putting out 2 programs for school. One of them is this Friday; the next the following Tuesday. In all practicality, there is no way that I could do them both as I had originally envisioned them. I sort of knew that going in, but figured it was worth a try. :-) In the midst of my being frustrated with myself for forgetting things, not communicating well, or simply letting things fall through the cracks, I am learning a pretty big lesson. And that is what I wanted to share with you.

You see, even as my pride has been injured through this journey by the knowledge that things will not be as smooth and polished as I might have conjured them in my head, I think that I am beginning to see a bit of what God sees as important - His agenda, if you will - in these programs. As I am forced to let go and trust Him, I see His picture beginning to form. And it is a picture that brings tears to my eyes even now. I think God is being gracious in allowing things to come together in a manner that I think will be pleasing if not perfect, but here are a few of the ways I am seeing God's agenda playing out.

In the younger grades:
*Maddie, our kindergartner with Leukemia, has been able to participate in some after school rehearsals and is planning on performing with us. She is an "in-your-face" visual reminder that God will sustain us, even in the Wilderness. To hear her sing the words, "For all You have done Lord, my heart fills with gratitude. And for all that you are, Lord, I give you my praise. Now here in this very place, I have found your redeeming grace. Now I finally see how great Your love is for me." could melt even the hardest heart.

*Through a series of events that was not altogether pleasant for her teacher, God is taking one of our young soloists on a journey of learning submission. Out of respect for her I don't want to say too much, but I don't think the timing is a coincidence.

*Some of our children who have had problems in the past have found success in various little parts of the program. Two of my kindergarten boys have really stepped up to help lead their peers. Daniel and Koanui have had their struggles during the year and I love seeing them take their program responsibilities so seriously. They make great spies!

In the older grades:
*I assigned solos to many children who have never had one before and they have risen to the occasion. Not all of them are perfect, but I am so proud of them for getting up there and giving their best effort! For some, this is waaay outside their comfort zone.

*Some of the students decided to participate in skits. A few of them wrote their own lines and it was fun to watch their creativity ride. One of my girls is doing a monologue that talks about Jesus being our friend, not just our judge. I have enjoyed watching her as the words sink into her heart. The skits have provided more than a few teachable moments.

The older group did a run through of their program today and I saw some changes from when we started preparing this program. I saw students congratulating one another on a job well done and cheering one another on. I heard them laugh together and sing together. And I think these are the reasons God wanted this musical to happen.

All in all, I like what God is doing. Truly, in our weakness, He is strong. :-)

Thanks for letting me share.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeannie
I enjoyed you email and cried through most of it. I am so thrilled the
little girl with lukemia is back. I didn't realize she was back in school.
God is good. I am so proud of you and all you accomplish - I know you don't
think everything is perfect, but I know it will be great because you are a
great teacher and encourager. I wish I could be there. I have checked
flights, but they are pretty pricey. I guess May is not a good time to come
to Hawaii. I will be thinking about you and praying for your programs - I
know they will be great.

love and prayers mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeannie!

Thanks for your e-mail on the lessons you've learned as a result of your school programs. It sounds like God is working in your lives and that we have a lot to look forward to next week. You and your students continue to be in my prayers. I am excited about Tuesday! May God bless you tremendously for all that you have done to lead and guide these children in a practical application of Jesus' teaching to love one another. You are awesome!!!

Love,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeannie, Can't say much abouit the trenches I'm in but the lesson sounds dead on. Don't give up. keep on keeping on. it will pan out. Susanna

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jeannie,
It's these types of things that change those kids
lives. I know what you mean when you said how you
invisioned it, but God is going to use this to work in
so many lives. Parents of children will come to
truely know God through this. Thanks for taking on
more than you knew you should and then letting God
take over!
You Go Girl!

Kelly C.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeannie,

You have been on my mind. Thanks for sharing! It's amazing how God teaches us things and works in people's lives on such an individual and personal basis. I am happy that your programs are coming together. I am sure they will be a success. You are so awesome! Looking forward to catching up with you soon.

Love,
jerrine

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing jeannie! sounds like you are
doing wonderful things for your students...being the
light ang salt for the earth. i miss you! there is a
gal i sing with on the worship team and she reminds me
so much of you it is like she is you long lost
twin...only in a 30 year difference in age. =) i
wanted to let you know that justin, alivia and i are
coming to oahu from june 1-ll th and we must see you!
i know you are a busy lady and i just wanted you to
let me know a time you could get together for coffee
or lunch or whatever...I just want to catch up and
sped time with my favorite lady! =) God bless you
jeannie and i am so excited to see you so soon!!!!

Camille