Search This Blog

Thursday, March 20, 2008

My head in the sand?

A month or two ago, I emailed some of you a link to Nightlights Bankok. A ministry that works with people (mostly women and children) who are escaping from the human trafficking industry. This is a follow up on that email.

To further flashback: Just before Christmas I watched "Hairspray." One of the songs caught my attention. I have placed a link to it below. It is called, "I Know Where I've Been." I remember thinking, "What are the issues we 'march for' today?" "Have we come to a place where things are relatively just in the world and there are no issues to fight for, or am I one of those who have had my head burried in the sand?" Take a look at the clip, if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I0qqJv-aXI&feature=related

A few ladies from our church have been talking to God about human trafficking for quite some time. Recently, they began to share what they have learned and we, as a congregation, have decided to walk forward and do something about it. We will be hosting the first of many social justice conferences this fall on the campus of UH Manoa. The first one will focus on human trafficking. Things are still in the early planning stages, but we are hoping to educate people on the reality of the problem and provide outlets to respond as God leads them.

I confess, my head was burried in the sand. One estimate says that over 300,000 children/young teens are trafficked in the United States. And not only in a couple places like New York or Los Angeles, but throughout the country. And that is such a small piece of this worldwide problem. I will probably be traveling to Thailand this summer to help set the stage to, hopefully, send future missionaries and learn more about setting up safehouses You will probably here more about my journey as things progress, but for now take a look at this video.

Check out this site for a good 3min video on the trafficking of
children. The quotes from the victims are quite moving.
http://www.ahavakids.org/video.htm
-V

Jeanie

No comments: